Heart Healthy Resources
Here are some resources that will help you learn more about heart disease and how to deal with it, as well as information about local resources where you can get expert treatment, advice, and support.
Johns Hopkins Heart and Vascular Institute 410-550-5191
(Johns Hopkins Bayview Medical Center, Eastern Avenue, Baltimore, MD, Suite 3300, building 301)
A multidisciplinary team of cardiologists work together with fitness, nutrition, and mental health experts to offer a wide variety of cardiovascular services tailored to a woman’s needs, including risk assessment, evaluation, diagnostic testing, and treatment.
Sister to Sister: The Women’s Heart Health Foundation 301-718-8033
(4701 Willard Ave., Suite 223, Chevy Chase, MD 20815, www.sistertosister.org)
Started in 2000 by women’s health advocate Irene Pollin, Sister to Sister’s mission is to increase heart disease awareness among women and to educate them about healthy lifestyle changes and choices that will help them to reduce their risk of heart disease. Sister to Sister also offers women free cardiac screenings for early detection and treatment with different locations throughout Maryland.
WomenHeart: The National Coalition for Women with Heart Disease 202-728-7199
818 18th St NW # 930, Washington D.C., DC 20006-351, www.womenheart.org
A national organization dedicated to promoting heart health through advocacy, education, and support, WomanHeart was founded as a way for women with heart disease to join women-centric support groups.
American Heart Association (www.goredforwomen.org)
This part of the American Heart Association’s official site focuses on women and heart disease; its goal is to inform women on ways they can combat heart disease and ways in which they can get involved and work together to wipe out heart disease.
The Heart Truth (www.nhlbi.nih.gov/health/hearttruth)
A campaign aimed to raise awareness of heart disease primarily geared toward women between 40 and 60 years old.
A to Z Index on Heart Issues (www.nhlbi.nih.gov/health/dci)
Heart attacks aren’t the only type or result of heart disease. This website provides an A to Z index of information about different cardiovascular diseases.
Drugwatch.com is a comprehensive resource about side effects and complications from commonly prescribed drugs and oft-used medical devices. The website educates people about medications they take and the devices that are in their bodies. There is a section specifically for women and news on heart medication drugs.
Diet and Exercise
- 21 Days to a Healthy Heart: Eat Your Way to Heart Health by Alan L. Watson
- American heart Association Fitting in Fitness: Hundreds of Simple Ways to Put More Physical
- Activity into Your Life by the American Heart Association
- The Doctor’s Heart Cure, Beyond the Modern Myths of Diet and Exercise: The Clinically-Proven Plan of Breakthrough Health Secrets That Helps You Build a Powerful, Disease-Free Heart by Al Sears
- The Eating Well for a Healthy Heart Cookbook: 150 Delicious Recipes for Joyful, Heart-Smart Eating by Philip A. Ades
- Prevent and Reverse Heart Disease: The Revolutionary, Scientifically Proven, Nutrition-Based Cure by Caldwell B. Esselstyn
Heart Health, Prevention, and Rehabilitation
- Complete Guide to Women’s Heart Health by the American Heart Association
- Heart Disease by Joseph C. Piscatella
- From the Heart: A Woman’s Guide to Living Well with Heart Disease by Kathjy Kastan
- Strong Women, Strong Hearts by Miriam E. Nelson and Alice H. Lichtenstein
- Take a Load off Your Heart: 109 Things You Can Actually Do to Prevent, Halt, and Reverse
- Women Are Not Small Men: Life-Saving Strategies for Preventing and Health Heart Disease in Women by Nieca Goldberg
Additional posts by Lynda Phung
- Matters of the Heart: Women and Heart Health, 02 Feb 2014 in Health & Wellness
- Late Admissions – Four Women Show that It’s Better Late than Never When It Comes to Going Back to School, 13 Aug 2013 in
- Past Tense, Future Perfect: How Preparing Now Will Help to Make Your Financial Future Better for You and Your Family, 14 Jun 2013 in
- Bring Spring Home, 06 Apr 2013 in Home & Garden
- Keys to Feeling and Looking Youthful…No Matter Your Age, 06 Apr 2013 in Health & Wellness
- Vegan and Organic Recipes, 06 Dec 2012 in
- Make Your Holidays Cheery and Bright, 06 Dec 2012 in
- Last Minute Holiday Gifts, 06 Dec 2012 in
- Easy Holiday Feasts, 06 Dec 2012 in
- The Many Ways of Healing, 11 Aug 2012 in Health & Wellness